Thursday, December 6, 2012

The verb "gustar" saying what someone likes

This verb "gustar" is kind of a weird word. It is not used like a regular conjugation, it is used with an indirect object pronoun, or the words "me,te,le,nos and les". A way to think about it's difference with English is that we will say "I like to sleep" when in Spanish they say "It pleases me to sleep OR To me it pleases to sleep". In this case, remember the sleeping is what is doing the pleasing. Many of my students try to conjugate this verb traditionally, like "Yo gusto el cine" the problem with this is that it translates to "I please the movies", to which I usually respond "I know you think you are so great, but I think the movies could care less whether or not you are there!" I know, I try to do my part to build self esteem!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment